Text from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal,
unless otherwise stated.
The Most Pure Heart Of The Blessed Virgin Mary.
Feast Day: Saturday Within The Octave Of The Sacred Heart.
The Virgin in Prayer.
Artist: Giovanni Battista Salvi da Sassoferrato (1609 – 1685).
Date: Between 1640 and 1650.
Current location: National Gallery, London.
Source/Photographer: Web Gallery of Art.
[Editor: How apt that, within the Octave of The Sacred Heart of Jesus, a Feast Day also Commemorates The Most Pure Heart Of The Blessed Virgin Mary, His Mother. Two Hearts, so close, they cannot be separated. Ever.]
These are the characteristics of the Heart of Our Blessed Lady, which we set forth from the Texts of the Mass:
1. All her Holiness proceeds from her Heart (Introit);
2. Her grief, when she lost the Child, Jesus, in the Temple (Gospel);
3. Her Heart is filled with the Love of God (Epistle, Secret, Communion);
4. Mary's Heart is Pure, therefore it is pleasing to God (Collect, Gradual);
5. Her Heart is courageous (Offertory);
6. Mary's intercession (Postcommunion).
[Editor: Note that this Feast Day is in addition to The Immaculate Heart Of The Blessed Virgin Mary, celebrated on 22 August.]