Tuesday, 8 March 2016

Saint Mary The Virgin Church, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England. Designed By George Frederick Bodley.



Saint Mary The Virgin Church,
Clumber Park,
Nottinghamshire, England.
Photo: Taken by Wayne Austin FlickR Page
Date: 30 March 2008 (original upload date).
Source: Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons
(Wikimedia Commons)



Saint Mary The Virgin, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England.
Designed by George Frederick Bodley.
© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Illustration: GEOGRAPH


The following Text is from Wikipedia - the free encyclopaedia.

The Church of Saint Mary The Virgin, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England, is an Anglican Church and is Grade I Listed, by English Heritage, as a building of outstanding architectural or historic interest.


Mary with Jesus, Clumber Chapel

Saint Mary The Virgin, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England.
Designed by George Frederick Bodley.
© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Illustration: GEOGRAPH


The Chapel of Saint Paul, at Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, was commissioned by Henry Pelham-Clinton, 5th Duke of Newcastle in 1864. It was designed by the architect Thomas Chambers Hine, but not completed and became known as The Pigeon Coop. Henry Pelham-Clinton, 7th Duke of Newcastle, demolished it and commissioned a new Chapel, Dedicated to Saint Mary The Virgin, in 1886. It was designed by George Frederick Bodley and built R. Franklin, of Diddington, Oxfordshire. The Stone used in the Interior is Red Runcorn, and, Externally, Steetly Ashlar with Red Runcorn dressings.

It was completed by 1889 at a cost of £30,000 (£2,961,466 in 2016). It was opened by the Bishop of Southwell on 22 October 1889 but this ceremony caused alarm in The Protestant Alliance of The Church of England, as reported in The Derby Daily Telegraph on 6 November 1889.
The Committee and Members of The Protestant Alliance have forwarded a Memorial to The Archbishop of Canterbury, inviting His Grace’s attention to the reports published in The Press regarding the Services conducted at the Benediction or Dedication of the new Church at Clumber on the 22nd of October - Services “authorised and conducted” by The Bishop of Southwell, The Bishop of the Diocese, and described as “a function which far exceeded that of Cardiff in Grandeur of Ritual and Dignity of Ceremonial”. 
These reports, it is pointed out, state that the Church at Clumber was decorated with a Crucifix over The Rood Screen, with images of The Virgin and of Saint John, with a Baldachino over The “High Altar,” and a Crucifix on the Retable with a Tabernacle for The Reserved Sacrament, having a Silver Lamp suspended in front of it, and with other Popish emblems. The Service of The Holy Communion was conducted, according to these reports, with the formalities observed in The Roman Catholic Service of The Sacrifice of The Mass - formalities condemned by The Courts of Law - and it is further reported that no person whatever Communicated with the Celebrant. 
The Procession into the Church was headed by a Crucifer, bearing a large Crucifix, and a Thurifer, bearing a Censer containing Incense. Two handsome Banners were carried aloft, the first being that of The Blessed Sacrament and the second that of The Virgin Mary, on which were inscribed the remarkable words, “S. Maria Mater Dei”. It is further reported that about 50 “Priests” took part in the Procession; that The Bishop of Lincoln walked in this Procession, dressed in a Cope of Cloth of Gold; that he was followed by The Bishop of Southwell, wearing a gorgeous Cope, on the back of which was depicted in brilliant colours a representation of The Madonna and Child - The Madonna Crowned, The Child Uncrowned. The Memorialists urge that the use of the idolatrous Rites and Ceremonies of The Church of Rome tend to alienate the affections of people from The Church of England, and, if not checked and prevented, must eventually lead to an agitation for the dis-establishment and dis-endowment of The National Church. An appeal is made to The Archbishop to use his influence to check and prevent the introduction and the use of such superstitious Services and illegal practices.
The Church on a Cruciform Plan has a Central Tower, which contains one Bell and an 175 ft-high Spire, which rises out of an Octagonal Corona. It is in The Second Pointed Style. The Interior Nave is plain but the Chancel is decorated with carvings. The Stained-Glass is by Charles Eamer Kempe.


The Chapel of St Mary the Virgin, Clumber Park

Saint Mary The Virgin, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England.
Designed by George Frederick Bodley.
© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Illustration: GEOGRAPH


Clumber Chapel, Chancel

Saint Mary The Virgin, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England.
Designed by George Frederick Bodley.
© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Illustration: GEOGRAPH


Stained Glass Window (detail), Chapel of St Mary, Clumber Park

Saint Mary The Virgin, Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England.
Designed by George Frederick Bodley.
© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Illustration: GEOGRAPH



Interior of the Nave in 1900.
Illustration: SOUTHWELL CHURCHES



The Chancel and Choir, 
looking East.
Illustration: SOUTHWELL CHURCHES



The Choir, looking West.
Illustration: SOUTHWELL CHURCHES



Stained-Glass Window,
Saint Mary The Virgin,
Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire.
Illustration: SOUTHWELL CHURCHES


George Frederick Bodley00.jpg

George Frederick Bodley 
(1827-1907).
English Architect and Poet.
Photo: Circa 1900.
Author: Unknown.
(Wikimedia Commons)


George Frederick Bodley (14 March 1827 – 21 October 1907) was an English Gothic Revival architect. He was a pupil of Sir George Gilbert Scott, and worked in partnership with Thomas Garner for much of his career.

Bodley was articled to the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, a relative by marriage, under whose influence he became imbued with the spirit of The Gothic Revival, and he became known as the chief exponent of 14th-Century English Gothic, and the leading Ecclesiastical architect in England. He is regarded as the leader of the resurgence of interest in English and Northern European Late-Mediaeval design. Noted for his pioneering design work in The Queen Anne Revival,

From 1869, he worked in a twenty-eight year partnership with Thomas Garner, designing Collegiate Buildings in Oxford and Cambridge, Country Houses and Churches throughout The British Isles. One Cathedral was completed to his design: Saint David's Cathedral, HobartTasmania, Australia (first design, 1865; revised 1891; building completed 1936). In 1906, Bodley designed, with his pupil Henry Vaughan, The Washington National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.. He also provided a design for Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, but it was not used.

As well as Vaughan, Bodley and Garner's pupils included the Garden Designer Inigo Thomas, who specialised in formal Gardens with geometrical plans in 17th- and 18th-Century Styles, which suited the houses that Bodley and Garner renovated for wealthy clients.

In 1874, Bodley founded WATTS AND CO, London, with Garner and George Gilbert Scott, Jr.

His Secular Work included The London School Board offices, and, in collaboration with Garner, the new buildings at Magdalen College, Oxford, and Hewell Grange, Worcestershire (for Lord Windsor).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...