Friday, 24 March 2017

Friday Of The Third Week In Lent. The Lenten Station Is The Basilica Of Saint Laurence-in-Lucina.




Text from The Saint Andrew Daily Missal,
unless otherwise stated.

Friday of The Third Week in Lent.
   Station at Saint Laurence's-in-Lucina.

Indulgence of 10 Years and 10 Quarantines.

Violet Vestments.




Basilica of Saint Laurence-in-Lucina
Rome, Italy.
Photo taken during a survey
of Roman monuments in 1911.
This File: November 2005.
User: Panairjdde
(Wikimedia Commons)

This is one of the numerous Sanctuaries built in Rome in honour of the Martyred Deacon, Saint Laurence. Part of the Gridiron, on which he was tortured, is kept there. This Church, one of the twenty-five Titular, or Parish, Churches of the First Christian Capital in the 5th-Century A.D., is still today that from which the First of The Cardinal Priests derives his Title.

It was during The Forty Years, passed in the desert, that Moses and Aaron asked God to bring from the Rock - a figure of Christ - "a Spring of Living Water," so that all the people could quench their thirst (Epistle). During these Forty Days of Lent, the Church asks Christ to give us The Living Water, about which He spoke to The Woman of Samaria, near Jacob's Well, The Water which quenches our thirst for ever (Gospel).



Basilica of Saint Laurence-in-Lucina,
Rome, Italy.
Photo: July 2007.
Source: Own work.
Author: SteO153
Permission: CC-BY-SA-2.5
(Wikimedia Commons)

This Water is our Faith in Jesus, it is Grace, it is the Blood which flows from The Wounds of The Saviour, and which, through Baptism, Penance and the other Sacraments, purifies our Souls, and gushes forth into Eternal Life, of which it assures us a share.

We should note the parallel that it pleased Christian art to establish between Saint Peter and Moses. It is the latter who touched the Rock from whence the water surged; this is a symbol of Christian Baptism, given by The Church, of which Saint Peter is the Head.

Mass: Fac mecum.



The High Altar,
The Crucifix painting is by Guido Reni.
Photo: July 2007.
Source: Own work.
Author: SteO153.
(Wikimedia Commons)

The following Text is from Wikipedia - the free encyclopaedia.

The Church of Saint Laurence-at-Lucina (Italian: San Lorenzo-in-Lucina, Latin: S. Laurentii in Lucina) is a Roman Catholic Parish and Titular Church and Minor Basilica in Rome.

The Church is Dedicated to Saint Laurence, Roman Deacon and Martyr. The name "Lucina" comes from the 4th-Century A.D., Roman matron that gave permission for Christians to build a House of Worship.

Pope Marcellus I hid here during the Persecutions of Maxentius, while Pope Damasus I was Elected here in 366 A.D. A Church here was Consecrated by Pope Sixtus III in the year 440 AD. The Church was known as Titulus Lucinae, and thus is mentioned in The Acts of The 499 A.D. Synod of Pope Symmachus. It was first reconstructed under Pope Paschal II in the first decades of the 1100s.



English: Basilica of San Lorenzo-in-Lucina, Rome.
Italiano: Roma - Chiesa di S. Lorenzo-in-Lucina.
Photo: May 2010.
Source: Own work.
Author: Geobia
(Wikimedia Commons)

In 1606, Pope Paul V placed the Church under The Franciscan Order of Clerics Regular Minor. The Interior was completely transformed by Cosimo Fanzago in the 17th-Century, converting the lateral Aisles of the Basilica structure into Chapels. The Ceiling was frescoed by the Neapolitan Mometto Greuter.

Charles Stewart, an Officer in The Papal Army, who died in 1864, is buried within the Church. He was the son of John Stewart, Prince Charles Edward Stuart's (Charles III) 'maestro di casa'. Charles had created John a Baronet in 1784. The current Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Laurentii-in-Lucina, established in 684 A.D., is Malcolm Ranjith, since November 2010.




English: Chapel of Saint Laurence's Gridiron,
Italiano: San Lorenzo-in-Lucina, Roma.
La cappella che conserva la sedicente
graticola su cui sarebbe stato
martirizzato San Lorenzo.
Photo: July 2007.
Source: Own work.
Author: SteO153
(Wikimedia Commons)

The High Altar, designed by Carlo Rainaldi, is decorated with a painting of The Crucifixion by Guido Reni. Under the Altar, there is The Gridiron on which Saint Laurence was Martyred. The Relics were put here by Pope Paschal II, according to an Inscription on The Throne behind the Altar. The Chorus is decorated by Virgins and Saints by Placido Costanzi.

The second Chapel to the Right, designed by Carlo Rainaldi, was decorated by Jan Miel. Nicolas Poussin is buried in the second Chapel on the Right, with a Monument donated by Chateaubriand, with a Bust by Paul Lemoyne and a Relief by Louis Desprez.



Interior of the Basilica
of Saint Laurence-in-Lucina,
Rome, Italy.
Photo: August 2006.
Source: Own work.
Author: Lalupa
(Wikimedia Commons)

The fourth Chapel, the Fonseca Chapel, was designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, and features a lively Bust of Gabriel Fonseca by the Master Sculptor. It also houses a Copy of Guido Reni's "Annunciation", completed by Giacinto Gimignani.

The fifth Chapel, on the Right, has a "Death of Saint Giacinta Marescotti", by Marco Benefial, and a "Life of Saint Francis" (1624), by Simon Vouet. The fourth Chapel has a "Saint Giuseppe", by Alessandro Turchi, and a "San Carlo Borromeo", by Carlo Saraceni. The first Chapel has Works (1721) by Giuseppe Sardi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...