Monday, 8 September 2014

Carcassonne (Part One).


Text and Illustrations from Wikipedia - the free encyclopaedia,
unless otherwise stated.




EnglishCarcassonneFrance.
View of the Mediaeval Citadel and vineyards.
FrançaisCarcassonneFrance, vue de la Cité Médiévale, vignes.
Author: Harry.
(Wikimedia Commons)



The fortified Outer Walls of Carcassonne.
Photo: 25 July 2007.
Source: Own work.
Author: Bmsgator.
(Wikimedia Commons)


Carcassonne (Occitan: Carcassona), is a fortified French town in the Aude Department, of which it is the Prefecture, in the Region of Languedoc-Roussillon.

Occupied since the Neolithic era, Carcassonne is located in the Aude Plain, between two great axis of circulation linking the Atlantic to the Mediterranean sea and the Massif Central to the Pyrénées. Its strategic importance was quickly recognised by the Romans, who occupied its hilltop until the demise of their Western Empire, and was later taken over by the Visigoths in the 5th-Century, who founded the City. Also thriving as a trading post, due to its location, it saw many rulers, who successively built up its fortifications until its military significance was greatly reduced by the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659.

The City is famous for the Cité de Carcassonne, a Mediaeval fortress, restored by the theorist and architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc in 1853, and added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1997. Consequently, Carcassonne greatly profits from tourism, but also counts manufacture and wine-making as some of its other key economic sectors.



English: Coat-of-Arms of Carcassonne (Languedoc).
Drawn by Manassas, for the Blazon Project of
French-speaking Wikipedia, with Inkscape.
Français: Blason de la commune de fr:Carcassonne (Aude)
dessiné par Manassas pour le Projet Blasons de Wikipédia francophone, avec Inkscape.
Source : oeuvre personnelle - Blasonnement : D'azur semé de fleurs de lys d'or au portail de ville flanqué de deux tours couvertes d'argent, maçonné, ajouré et ouvert de sable, la porte coulissée aussi d'argent surmontée d'un écusson de gueules chargé d'un agneau pascal d'argent à la tête contournée nimbée d'or, portant une bannerette aussi d'argent surchargée d'une croisette du champ.
Date: 30 July 2007.
Source: Own drawing.
Author: Manassas.
(Wikimedia Commons)



FrançaisCarcassonne (Aude - France), l’ Aude, le vieux pont et la Cité Médievale.
DeutschCarcassonne (Aude - Frankreich), die Aude (Fluss),
die Alte Brücke und die mittelalterliche Stadt.
EnglishCarcassonne (Aude - France). The Aude River, the old bridge and the Mediaeval City.
EspañolCarcassonne (Aude - Francia), el Rio Aude, el Puente Viejo y la ciudad medieval.
Photo: 13 June 2004.
Source: Own work.
(Wikimedia Commons)


The Cité de Carcassonne is a Mediaeval Citadel. It is located on a hill on the right bank of the River Aude, in the South-East part of Carcassonne. It was the historic City of Carcassonne and features on the emblem of the local rugby league team, AS Carcassonne.

In 1659, after the Treaty of the Pyrenees, the Province of Roussillon became a part of France, and the town lost its military significance. Fortifications were abandoned and the town became one of the economic centres of France, concentrating on the woollen textile industry. Founded during the Gallo-Roman period, the Citadel derives its reputation from its three kilometres (1.9 miles) double-surrounding-walls, interspersed by fifty-two Towers.



Čeština: Bazilika Saint-Nazaire v Carcassonne.
Français: La basilique de Saint-Nazaire de Carcassonne.
Photo: 3 July 2006.
Source: Own work.
Author: Harmonia Amanda.
(Wikimedia Commons)


The town has about 2,500 years of history and has seen the Romans,Visigoths, Saracens and Crusaders. At the beginning of its history, it was a Gaulish settlement, then, in the 3rd-Century A.D., the Romans decided to transform it into a fortified town. It was finally annexed to the Kingdom of France in 1247. It provided a strong French frontier between France and the Crown of Aragon.



The Minor Basilica of Saint Nazaire and Saint Celse,
Carcassonne, France.
Date: 4 October 2009.
Source: Carcassonne. Uploaded by russavia
Author: Andy Mitchell from Glasgow, U.K.
(Wikimedia Commons)


PART TWO FOLLOWS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...