Illustration: LONDON TRANSPORT MUSEUM
The Bakerloo Line is named after The Baker Street and Waterloo Railway, which first opened from Baker Street to Kennington Road (now Lambeth North) in 1906.
A writer at The Evening News coined the name "Bakerloo" as an abbreviation for the Railway. The Company quickly accepted it and used it officially from July 1906.
Chancellor of The Exchequer, William Gladstone (Centre Right)
on an inspection tour of the early Underground Railway, May 1862.
Picture Credit: GETTY IMAGES