Thursday, 12 January 2017

Gloucester Cathedral. "In The Bleak Midwinter". "The Gloucester Wassail".



The Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and The Holy and Indivisible Trinity,
Gloucester, England. Foundation work began on the Church in 1089.
Photo: 2 June 2011.
Source: Own work.
Attribution: Outside of Wikimedia Foundation projects,
attribution is to be made to: 
Saffron Blaze, via http://www.mackenzie.co/
Author: Saffron Blaze.
(Wikimedia Commons)


"In The Bleak Midwinter".
Sung by The Gloucester Cathedral Choir.
Available on YouTube at


The High Altar and Stained-Glass of The Great East Window,
Gloucester Cathedral, Gloucestershire, England.
Photo: 9 July 2014.
Source: Own work.
Attribution: "Photo by DAVID ILIFF.
License: CC-BY-SA 3.0".
Author: Diliff.
(Wikimedia Commons)


"The Gloucester Wassail".
"The Holly and The Ivy".
Regency Christmas.
Made for the HMS Acasta blog. www.hmsacasta.com 
"The Gloucester Wassail" sung by The Waverly Consort.
"The Holly and The Ivy" sung by The Choir of King's College, Cambridge.
Available on YouTube at


The Cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral,
Gloucestershire, England.
Photo: 9 July 2014.
Source: Own work.
Attribution: "Photo by DAVID ILIFF.
License: CC-BY-SA 3.0".
Author: Diliff.
(Wikimedia Commons)

The following Text is from Wikipedia - the free encyclopaedia.

The Cathedral, built as the Abbey Church, consists of a Norman nucleus (Walter de Lacy is buried there), with additions in every Style of Gothic Architecture. It is 420 feet (130 m) long, and 144 feet (44 m) wide, with a fine Central Tower of the 15th-Century rising to a height of 225 ft (69 m) and topped by four delicate Pinnacles, a famous landmark.

The Nave is massive Norman with an Early-English Roof; the Crypt, under The Choir, Aisles and Chapels, is Norman, as is The Chapter House. The Crypt is one of the four Apsidal Cathedral Crypts in England, the others being at Worcester, Winchester, and Canterbury.

The South Porch is in The Perpendicular Style, with a Fan-Vaulted Roof, as also is The North Transept, The South Transept being Transitional Decorated Gothic. The Choir has Perpendicular Tracery over Norman work, with an Apsidal Chapel on each side. The Choir Vaulting is particularly rich.

The Late-Decorated East Window is partly filled with surviving Mediaeval Stained-Glass. Between the Apsidal Chapels is a Cross Lady Chapel, and North of The Nave are The Cloisters, the Carrels or Stalls, for the Monks' study and writing, lying to the South. The Cloisters at Gloucester are the earliest-surviving Fan Vaults, having been designed between 1351 and 1377 by Thomas de Canterbury.

The most notable monument is the Canopied Shrine of King Edward II of England, who was murdered at nearby Berkeley Castle. The building and Sanctuary were enriched by the visits of Pilgrims to this Shrine. In a Side-Chapel, is a monument in coloured bog oak of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror and a great benefactor of the Abbey, who was interred there. Monuments of Bishop Warburton and Dr Edward Jenner are also worthy of note.

Between 1873 and 1890, and in 1897, the Cathedral was extensively restored by George Gilbert Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...