Notre Dame de Rouen. The façade of the Gothic Church in France. Photographer: Hippo1947. Licence: SHUTTERSTOCK.

Wednesday 13 February 2019

"O, My Saviour, Jesus Christ, The Only Object Of My Desires". "O, Mon Sauveur, Jesus Christ, Unique Objet De Mes Désirs". "Obsecro Te". "I Beseech Thee".



O My Saviour, Jesus Christ,
 the only object of my desires.
Illustration:  HOLY CARD HEAVEN


Obsecro Te.
(I Beseech Thee).

Priests, who say this Prayer In Thanksgiving after Mass,
gain an Indulgence of three Years applicable to The Souls in Purgatory
(Blessed Pope Pius IX, 1846).

He who says it, if possible kneeling, may obtain the pardon of any faults or mistakes
of which he may have been guilty, as the result of human frailty,
during The Celebration of Mass (Pope Saint Pius X, 1912).


I beseech Thee, most sweet Lord Jesus Christ,
grant that Thy Passion may be to me a power
by which I may be strengthened, protected and defended.

May Thy wounds be to me food and drink,
by which I may be nourished, inebriated and overjoyed.
May the sprinkling of Thy Blood be to me an ablution for all my sins.

May Thy Death prove to me life everlasting,
and Thy Cross be to me an eternal glory.
In these be my refreshment, my joy,

My preservation and sweetness of heart.
Who livest and reignest
World without end.

Amen.



The following Text is taken from PRECES-LATINA


This Prayer was a favourite during the latter part of The Middle Ages, and invariably appeared in Books of The Hours from the 15th-Century, onwards. Books of The Hours were Prayer Books intended for The Laity and were based upon the much longer Liturgy of The Hours recited by Clergy and Religious.

Often, these books would contain three Sets of Hours; The Hours of The Blessed Virgin; The Hours of The Cross; and The Hours of The Holy Ghost.

In addition to The Hours, a number of other Prayers and popular Devotions were often included, such as this one, "Obsecro Te", and "O, Intemerata".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...