Liturgical Text and Illustrations, unless stated otherwise, are taken from MISSALE ROMANO-SERAPHICUM PRO TRIBUS ORDINIBUS SANCTI FRANCISCI PATRIS NOSTRI. 1879.
Liturgical Illustrations: ZEPHYRINUS
English: The Lozenge variant of The Flag of Bavaria.
Das Seitenverhältnis ist nicht vorgegeben, Abbildung 3:5.
Slovenčina: Vlajka Bavorska
Source Own work.
English: Our Lady of Altötting, Germany.
Deutsch: Das Gnadenbild der Gnadenkapelle in Altötting (Landkreis Altötting, Oberbayern). Die frühgotische Statue einer stehenden Muttergottes mit dem Jesus-Kind kam um 1330 nach Altötting. Die Fotografie wurde in der Altöttinger Stiftspfarrkirche aufgenommen, wohin das Gnadenbild am 23.02.2011 wegen Arbeiten in der Gnadenkapelle gebracht war. Dies bedeutete eine seltene Gelegenheit zur Bildaufnahme, da die Innenräume der Gnadenkapelle nicht fotografiert werden dürfen.
Photo: 23 February 2011.
Source: Own work.
Author: S. Finner: Siddhartha Finner, Dipl.Ing.-Architektur.
The following Text is from Wikipedia, the free encyclopædia,
unless stated otherwise.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Altötting, also known as The Chapel of Grace (German: Gnadenkapelle), is the National Shrine of Bavaria, Dedicated to The Blessed Virgin Mary. It is known for the many healings which are said to have taken place there, and is commonly called The Lourdes of Germany.
The octagonal Chapel, which houses the image of Our Lady, dates to about 660 A.D., and is the oldest Marian Shrine in Germany. The image of Mary, Venerated there, is a Black Madonna of great antiquity (possibly about 1330), carved from Linden Wood.
The Shrine became a popular Pilgrim destination when it became known for the miraculous recovery in 1489 of a young boy who had been drowned, after his mother laid his body before the image of The Blessed Virgin Mary, and Prayed to The Blessed Mother for a Miracle.
Many of the Votive Offerings, which have been given to The Shrine over the Centuries, are displayed in the Porch encircling the Church. Also to be seen are the small, Silver Urns, in which many members of The German Nobility would have their hearts placed after their deaths, which would then be brought to this location.
The Shrine has been served by the The Capuchin Friars for Centuries. One Member of The Order, Brother Conrad of Parzham, O.F.M. Cap. (1818-1894), served there as Porter for over forty years. During his lifetime of Service, he developed a reputation for Holiness and miraculous healings. He has been declared a Saint by The Catholic Church.
The Shrine was honoured by a visit by Pope Saint John Paul II in November 1980. He was accompanied by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who was born in a nearby Town. On 11 September 2006, Ratzinger, newly Elected as Pope Benedict XVI, returned to The Shrine, and donated the Episcopal Ring he had worn while he was The Archbishop of Munich. The Ring is now a part of The Sceptre held by The Blessed Virgin.
The following Text is from CATHOLIC NEWS AGENCY
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI began his Papal Visit to Bavaria, on 9 September 2006, with a Prayer at The Column of The Virgin Mary in the centre of the Bavarian Capital of Munich. It was here, on 28 February 1982, that he bid farewell with a Prayer, when he left The Office of Archbishop of Munich and Freising and assumed the responsibilities of Prefect for The Congregation for The Doctrine of The Faith at the side of Pope Saint John Paul II.
In this Prayer, he appealed with moving words to The “Patrona Bavariæ”, Bavaria's Protector: “From your image, we see again and again the nearness of our God. You bear Him in your hands as a Child, and hold Him out to us so that we can also bear Him and be borne by Him."
Elector Maximilian I Elevated
The Blessed Virgin Mary To
Patroness Of Bavaria In The 17th-Century.
English: Golden Statue of Holy Mary - Marienplatz, Munich, Germany.
Português: Estátua dourada de Nossa Senhora - Marienplatz, Munique.
Photo: 26 December 2017.
Source: Own work.
Author: Erika Piffer
The Adoration and Proclamation of Mary as The Patroness of Bavaria dates back to the beginning of the 17th-Century. At that time, The Bavarian Duke and Elector, Maximilian I, had a Statue of Mary, with The Infant Jesus, sculpted by Hans Krumper and cast in bronze by Bartholomäus Wenglein.
The Statue was erected at his residence in Munich and the words “Patrona Boiariæ” inscribed on the Pedestal. The Duke, a pupil of The Jesuits in Ingolstadt, and a dedicated Member of The Marian Congregation, thus proclaimed Mary as Patroness of his family and as Heavenly Ruler of The People and The State of Bavaria.
Next to the sculpture, is a Sanctuary Lamp with an Eternal Light. When participants in The Corpus Christi Procession in Munich pass this depiction of Mary, many Flag Bearers halt and lower their Banners in greeting.
The Shrine Church of Our Lady of Altötting,
Photo: 9 June 2006.
Source: Detail from Image:Shrine_of_Europe03.JPG
Illustration: CATHOLIC NEWS AGENCY
The Column of The Virgin Mary, with the likeness of The Patrona Bavariæ, on Marienplatz in Bavaria's Capital, is well-known for saving the Cities of Munich and Landshut from destruction by Swedish Soldiers in The Thirty Years' War,
Bavaria's Great Elector, Maximilian, vowed to erect The Column on The Main Square in Munich, his Capital. In 1638, the famous Column with the gilded, larger-than-life, figure, originally created by Hubert Gerhard for the Church of Our Lady (Liebfrauenkirche), was erected and Cconsecrated by Freising’s Prince Bishop, Veit Adam von Gepeckh. In his Prayer of Consecration, Maximilian once again commended his people and Bavaria to the protection and care of The Blessed Mother: At the unveiling, The Elector is said to have pronounced the following Latin couplet: “ Rem, Regem, Regimen, Regionem, Religionem/Conserva Bavaris Virgo Maria Tuis ! ”
Along with The Bavarian Pilgrimage Centre, Altötting, The Column of The Virgin Mary in Munich symbolises the Veneration of Mary in Altbayern [Editor: Old Bavaria], which is understood as a firm profession of belief in Christ.
The Column of The Virgin Mary on Munich's main square, known as Marienplatz, since 1854, was the point from which distances on all roads starting here were measured. It was the model for many similar Columns, such as those in Vienna, Prague and the Bishops’ Seat.
Munich's Column Of The Virgin Mary.
Simple Pilgrims, as well as Popes and Princes, have Prayed before Munich's Column of The Virgin Mary. Throughout the Baroque Period, it was the scene of many important Acts of State. In 1683, Elector Max Emanuel made a point of setting off to War from here against the Armies of The Ottoman Empire, which were threatening Christian Europe.
During The Third Reich, silent Praying to Mary became a mute protest against the regime. In 1938, because of the strict ban by The National Socialist municipal government, the 300-year Anniversary of the erection of The Column could not be celebrated, but only in the nearby Parish Church of Saint Peter.
During World War II, The Column was kept in The Liebfrauendom. In 1945, Cardinal Michael Faulhaber had The Column erected in the midst of the ruins of Munich. In 1988, on the occasion of The 350-year Anniversary of the erection of The Column, he recalled The Holocaust in his Prayer: “Holy Daughter of Zion, in all humility we bow our heads before you and honour your people, who, in our City, were pursued in blind hatred and driven to camps of destruction.
“Holy Mother, pierced by the sword, heal the wounds which your people suffered at the hands of our people.” After having been removed for some time, while Munich's subway was being built, The Column was returned in 1970 by Cardinal Julius Döpfner to its accustomed place. “Let the many who pass here look up in hope to The Virgin's Infant, Who brought Peace to the World,” Cardinal Döpfner Prayed.
On his first visit to Munich in 1980, Pope Saint John Paul II Prayed, together with Cardinal Ratzinger, at The Mariensäule. Pope Pius VI also Prayed here when he visited Munich in 1782. In a Prayer specially formulated for the occasion, Cardinal Wetter, in May of The Holy Year of 2000, appealed to The Patroness of Bavaria, and, at the beginning of the new Century, in a Marian Tradition, again placed Bavaria and its people under her protection: The Cardinal's Ecumenical Intercessory Prayer was worded: “Lead all to your Son, so that all those baptised in your name will be united.”
In the middle of World War I, King Ludwig III of Bavaria, together with his Queen, Maria Theresia, had asked Pope Benedict XV to officially declare The Blessed Virgin Mary as The Patroness of Bavaria.
In a Decree, The Pope, in 1916, Elevated The Blessed Virgin Mary to be Patroness of the entire Kingdom of Bavaria. In the Decree, the Country of Bavaria is called “The Kingdom of Mary” (Reich Mariens).
Veneration Of Mary Still Upheld
By All Generations, Today.
At the same time, The Pope authorised a special Celebration, in honour of Bavaria's Patroness, with Liturgical Texts. The Festivities were held for the first time in 1917 in all Bavarian Dioceses. In 1970, The Freising Bishops Conference shifted the Celebration to 1 May, and, thus, to the beginning of The Traditional Month of Mary.
At the 90th Anniversary of the Celebration, a delegation from The Bavarian Gebirgsschützen (Traditional “Defenders of Bavaria”), together with Cardinal Wetter, paid their respects to The Holy Father, on 13 May, in Rome. The Celebration of Patrona Bavariæ is The Feast of The Patron of The Association of The Bavarian Gebirgsschützen Companies.
Over Centuries, Pilgrimages in Bavaria, in Veneration of The Blessed Virgin, have repeatedly given Believers confidence in their Faith. Every year, in the seven Bavarian Dioceses, millions of men and women, including very many young people, take part in Devotions in honour of The Virgin Mary, and Pilgrimages to Shrines of The Blessed Virgin Mary.