The Cloisters, Moissac Abbey. December 1877. Photographer: Séraphin-Médéric Mieusement (1840-1905). Licence Ouverte. Wikimedia Commons.

25 Sept 2022

Albi Cathedral, France (Part Eight).

 


English: The Choir and Rood Screen of Albi Cathedral.
Français: Chœur et jubé (Cathédrale Sainte-Cécile, Albi).
Magyar: Kórus és szentélyrekesztő,
Szent Cecília-katedrális, Albi.
Polski: Chór kapłański oraz łuk tęczowy
(katedra Św. Cecylii w Albi we Francji).
Photo: 2 July 2008.
Source: Own work.
Author: Pom²
(Wikimedia Commons)


Only a small amount of Mediæval Stained-Glass remains in the Windows of the Cathedral; most of the Windows date to the 19th-Century and 20th-Century.

The Chapel of The Holy Cross has two Windows from the 15th-Century, representing Saint Helen, carrying a large Cross, and King Louis IX, holding a Cross-Reliquary.

Some pieces of earlier Glass, including the Coat-of-Arms of Bishop Beraud de Fargues, dated between 1320 and 1330, are incorporated into more modern Windows.[23]


English: Relics and Statue of Sainte-Cécile, dating from 1599, in Albi Cathedral. The Statue is meant to represent the body as it was found in the coffin. The orginal Statue is located at the Church of Saint Cecilia in Rome. Albi Cathedral, Dedicated to the Saint, has a faithful replica.
Français: Cathédrale Sainte-Cécile d'Albi - Reliques et statue de Sainte-Cécile - La statue bien connue de Maderno , datant de 1599, est censée représenter le corps tel qu'il fut retrouvé dans le cercueil. Cette statue se trouve à l'église Sainte-Cécile à Rome ; la cathédrale d’Albi, dédiée à la Sainte, en possède une fidèle réplique.
Italiano : Si ritiene che la famosa statua di Maderno, risalente al 1599, rappresenti il ​​corpo così come è stato trovato nella bara. Questa statua si trova nella Chiesa di S. Cecilia a Roma; La Cattedrale di Albi, dedicata al Santo, ne conserva una fedele replica.
Photo: 4 August 2021.
Source: Own work.
(Wikimedia Commons)

This file is copyrighted and has been released under a license which is incompatible with Facebook's licensing terms. It is not permitted to upload this file at Facebook.


The main Organ of the Cathedral is located on the Upper Level of the Nave, at the West End, above the mural of The Last Judgement.

It was commissioned in 1734 by Bishop de la Croix de Castries from the craftsman Christophe Moucherel.

It replaced the first Organ, dating to the end of the 15th-Century, and a second smaller Organ, which had been attached to the Rood Screen.


English: Chapel of Saint Marguerite, Albi Cathedral.
Français: Décor géométrique des chapelles hautes et basses de la cathédrale d'Albi. Décor assez mystérieux. Certains critiques y voient des anamorphoses, parfois à sous-entendus érotiques.
Photo: 26 October 2018.
Source: Own work.
Author: Franzrycou
(Wikimedia Commons)


The 1734 Organ re-used some of the Pipes of the first Organ. The decoration atop the Pipes of the Organs includes, at the top, statues of Angels with wings spread and with Trumpets, heralding Saint Cécile and Saint Valerien. Below these, are two White Unicorns with the Coats-of-Arms of the Bishop, and, below these, five towers of Pipes, crowned with statues of Angel-Musicians. The Cornice of the Organ rests on the shoulders of two sculpted Atlantes.[24]

The Organ was rebuilt and restored several times in the 18th-Century and 19th-Century; it was radically rebuilt in 1903 into a more Romantic Style, while preserving the older Pipes, above. Between 1977 and 1981, it was rebuilt, again, restoring its original Classical Style.[24]

The Treasury of the Cathedral is a rare example of a Cathedral Treasury located in its original place. It is a Vaulted Chamber attached to the Disambulatory of the Nave on the North Side of the Cathedral, above the Vestiaire and adjoining the Sacristy, which was constructed in the Late-13th-Century, and was used to keep the Church Archives and precious objects.


English: Upper Level decoration in the Choir, Albi Cathedral.
Français: Clôture du chœur
de la cathédrale Sainte-Cécile d'Albi.
Photo: 8 June 2012.
Source: Own work.
Author: GO69
(Wikimedia Commons)


It has a series of Niches, closed with Iron Grills. It was remade into a museum in 2001. It originally contained the Cathedral’s most precious Relic, a fragment of The True Cross, which disappeared in 1792 during The French Revolution, at the same time that the Cathedral High Altar and Silver Retable were destroyed.

The objects displayed now are largely those that were preserved in the tombs of the Bishops, as well as more recent objects made in the Early-19th-Century.

It also contains a collection of paintings, including a polyptyque of scenes from the life of The Virgin and Child from the 16th-Century, with a gilded background, and paintings of the life of Saint Cecilia, the Patron Saint of the Cathedral.



English: Part of Albi Cathedral’s Quadripartite Cross-Ribbed Vault located thirty metres above the ground, painted between 1509 and 1512.
Deutsch: Teilansicht eines vierteiligen Kreuzrippengewölbes, 30 m über Bodenniveau, in den Jahren 1509 bis 1512 ausgemalt, Kathedrale Sainte-Cécile, Albi, Frankreich.
Français: Détail d'une voûte sur croisée d'ogives quadripartite située à 30m du sol, peintes entre 1509 et 1512 (Cathédrale Sainte-Cécile, Albi)
Photo: 2 July 2008.
Source: Own work.
Author: Pom²
(Wikimedia Commons)

PART NINE FOLLOWS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...