Renewing the Quire (Choir).
Available on YouTube
In 1602, eighty-one Manuscripts from the Library were presented to Sir Thomas Bodley for The Bodleian Library at Oxford. In 1657, under The Commonwealth, the Cathedral was deprived of several of its ancillary buildings, including the Reading Room of 1412–1413. Some books were lost but a large part of them were saved due to the efforts of Dr. Robert Vilvaine, who had them transferred to St John’s Hospital. At a later date, he provided funds to convert The Lady Chapel into a Library, and the books were brought back.
By 1752, it is thought the collection had grown considerably to some 5,000 volumes, to a large extent by benefactions. In 1761, Charles Lyttelton, Dean of Exeter, describes it as having over 6,000 books and some good Manuscripts. He describes the work which had been done to repair and list the contents of the Manuscripts. At the same time, the Muniments had been cleaned and moved to a suitable Muniment Room.
“Emmanuel”, the thirteen-ton Bourdon of Notre-Dame de Paris being remounted in 1850 during restoration work. 1851 drawing by Daubigny showing the Bourdon “Emmanuel” being lifted into the rebuilt Belfry at Notre-Dame de Paris.
Date: 12 April 1851.
Source: Originally published in “L’Illustration”, 12 April 1851. Republished in 2013 on the official website of Notre-Dame de Paris. After the page was removed, it was archived on campaners.com, then uploaded to Pinterest.
In 1820, the Library was moved from The Lady Chapel to the Chapter House. In the later 19th-Century, two large collections were received by the Cathedral, and it was necessary to construct a new building to accommodate the whole Library.
The collections of Edward Charles Harington and Frederic Charles Cook were together more than twice the size of the existing Library, and John Loughborough Pearson was the architect of the new building on the site of the old Cloister. During the 20th-Century, the greater part of the Library was transferred to rooms in The Bishop’s Palace, while the remainder was kept in Pearson’s Cloister Library.
Today, there is a good collection of early Medical Books, part of which came in 1948 from the Exeter Medical Library (Founded 1814), and part on permanent loan from the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (1,300 volumes, 1965).
Decorated Columns, dated 1275, with Painted Arches,
behind the Altar at Exeter Cathedral.
Date: 29 September 2014.
Source: FLICKR/HUGH LLEWLYN
Author: Hugh Llewelyn
The most decorated Manuscript in the Library is a Psalter (MS 3508), probably written for the Church of Saint Helen, at Worcester, in the Early-13th-Century.
The earliest printed book now in the Library is represented by only a single leaf: This is Cicero’s “De officiis” (Mainz: Fust and Schoeffer, 1465–1466).
PART SEVEN FOLLOWS.